With so many external factors affecting pricing across all transport industries so far this year it can be difficult to get an accurate price for shipping your vehicle. Based on our own research across many different transport companies, we have found that the average price for a 1500-mile vehicle transport from city to city cost around $1100. Depending on which transport company you get a quote from, these rates could realistically range anywhere from $800-$1600 for that same distance. This is why it’s very important to always shop at least 3 different transport companies and compare their shipping rates before making a decision.
Listed below are some of the price ranges you can expect for various lengths of travel.
When we surveyed 1,000 people that had previously shipped their cars, we found that roughly 40% of these individuals paid between $1000-$2000 for the cost of their transport. This was the most common price range throughout the group. It’s important to remember however that the cost for car shipping services can easily fluctuate based on many factors. The prices are NOT set in stone.
For transports needing to travel less than 500 miles, you can anticipate paying close to $2 per mile. Rates should begin to fall the further the distance it needs to travel so expect to pay closer to 95 cents per mile on distances between 500 and 1500 miles. With trips going a distance over 1500 miles, the average rate falls even lower to just about 60 cents per mile.
Auto transport companies will typically compete for and bid on these types of shipment so pricing generally is not fixed. This also means you can get several affordable rates from multiple companies at once.
The Cost To Transport A Car Cross Country
After going through many online quote forms and getting numerous car shipping quotes, we came up with some average figures. When we selected to move a car from New York to Los Angeles, we found that shipping a car cross country cost around $1540. The average quote ranged between $1,160 and $1,800, with We Will Transport It consistently having the most affordable options for cross country car shipping.
Affordable State To State Car Shipping
Whether you are looking to ship your car to a neighboring state or someplace halfway across the country, one of the most affordable options is to find an auto transport broker that can ship your vehicle using an open carrier transport. One of the nice things about open carrier transport is their abundance and generally, the standard shipping option carriers use to deliver your car right to your door.
How Is The Cost Of Car Shipping Determined
There are many factors that can influence the cost of car shipping. Transport companies tend to base their pricing on some of the following:
- Vehicle Weight And Dimensions: Since weight is a huge factor into the price, expect it to be more costly the heavier your vehicle is.
- Pickup And Delivery Location: If you live in a more popular city it can be less expensive for pickup and delivery compared to more remote locations.
- Your Car’s Condition: Is your vehicle in drivable condition? It’s obviously easier to have an operable car capable of driving right onto the trailer. If not there can be additional tools and work involved resulting in higher fees.
- Transport Distance: If the car transport is less than 500 miles, the cost per mile is considerably more expensive than if transporting longer distances.
- Time Of Year: The winter months tend to be the most affordable. January and the summer months are generally more expensive as these tend to be the peak times in the car shipping industry.
- Transport Method: For the most affordable car shipping option, you should try to use an open carrier transport. These are the most popular but also offer the least amount of protection from harsh weather and road hazards. Enclosed transport can be as much as 50% more but offers complete protection for your vehicle throughout its entire transport.
- Cost Of Fuel: As we’ve seen so far this year, gas prices have fluctuated drastically. At the time of this writing, the national average for fuel was $3.572. You can expect if gas prices are particularly high that the cost of transport will also be slightly higher with this increase in fuel costs being passed on to the customer.
Book In Advance If You Want Cheap Car Shipping
If you are trying to get the most affordable prices, the best way to do this is by booking far enough ahead in advance. If you have 2-3 weeks before you need to have your vehicle transported and can schedule now, this is the best way to get cheap car shipping. By comparing multiple quotes and booking in advance, you’ll have the best chances of securing a carrier that will not only meet your timeframe and scheduling needs but will also provide the lowest rates. It’s also a good idea to get a quote from at least 3-4 other transport companies and compare rates before making a decision.